NAUI Leadership Training
NAUI Progression of Leadership Training
(Leadership and Instructor Levels)
Skin Diving Instructor
The Skin Diving Instructor certification (formerly Skin Diving Leader) has long been unique to NAUI. It qualifies individuals to train and certify skin divers and conduct snorkeling experience programs.
Both the Assistant Instructor and Divemaster ratings allow individuals to attend an Instructor Training Course (ITC) to be trained and qualified as NAUI Instructors. Completion of an Instructor Preparatory Course (IPC) is recommended prior to participation in an ITC.
- For details on the various certifications and programs, refer to the standards for the specific course or program.
- Active status NAUI scuba instructors are authorized to teach skin and scuba diving and authorize the issuance of certifications. Active status NAUI skin diving instructors are authorized to teach skin diving and authorize skin diving certification. Active status divemasters are authorized to organize and conduct open water diving activities for certified divers, including Diver Recognition Programs. Assistant instructors are authorized to assist NAUI scuba instructors, but may not teach, guide or certify independently.
PREREQUISITES AND REQUIREMENTS
- Age. Minimum is 18 years.
- Experience. Specified for each Leadership course. Required logged dives shall be varied in environment and depth.
- Rescue Certification. At a minimum, Scuba Rescue Diver certification is required except for Skin Diving Instructor, for which a lifeguarding certification is adequate.
- CPR & First Aid Certification. Current certification or verified competency in CPR and First Aid is required for registration. Certification training shall include one person adult CPR, infant/child CPR, two person CPR and the use of rescue breathing barrier devices, e.g. pocket mask®, face shield.
- Medical Approval. Verification of good physical condition as documented by a medical examination and unconditional approval for diving by a licensed physician within the preceding 12 months.
- Administrative Requirements.
- Submit a complete course application.
- Provide and be responsible for dive gear suitable for open water.
- Provide all required texts and materials.
- Meet all course prerequisites.
- Be currently certified or have verified competency in CPR and first aid.
- Complete all portions of the course.
- Meet all course administrative requirements.
- Pass the applicable leadership exam with a score of 75% or better.
MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION AND REGISTRATION
Upon completion of all certification requirements, each Leadership graduate must complete a NAUI membership application which the instructor will process in accordance with current procedures. Applicants will be registered as Leadership members in the appropriate category and status and be sent new member information.
QUALIFICATIONS OF LEADERSHIP MEMBERS
Leadership members of NAUI are entitled to benefits detailed in the Association Bylaws and in the NAUI standards. A NAUI Leader may renew membership annually in any one of several statuses by meeting renewal requirements.
- NAUI Standards and Policies Manual
- NAUI Scuba Diver Instructor Guide
- NAUI Student Training Kit (including book, tables, etc.)
- Scuba Rescue: Skills and Techniques
- Mastering Advanced Diving Technology and Techniques
- Mastering NAUI Leadership
- Leadership Courses Instructor Guide
- NAUI Nitrox: A Guide to Diving with Oxygen Enriched Air by Hamilton and Silverstein
- Physics, Physiology and Decompression Theory for the Technical and Commercial Diver by Wienke
- High Altitude Diving by Wienke
- Scuba Equipment Care and Maintenance by Farley and Royer
- The U.S. Navy Diving Manual Volume 1 – Air Diving
- The U.S. Navy Diving Manual Volume 2 – Mixed-gas Diving
- The NOAA Diving Manual
- Diving Medicine, 2nd Edition by Bove and Davis
- Scuba Diving in Safety and Health by Dueker
- Stress and Performance in Diving by Bachrach and Egstrom
- A Medical Guide to Hazardous Marine Life by Auerbach
- Oxygen and the Scuba Diver by Hendrick and Thomson
- The Application of Enriched Air Mixtures by Betts
- Sport Diving in Depth, 2nd Edition by Griffiths
- Deeper Into Diving by Lippman
- The Physics and Engineering of Diving by Dickens