Assistant Instructor (AI)
As an AI, you will be authorized to teach all aspects of skin and scuba diving under the supervision of a NAUI Instructor. This is the best possible way to develop your instructional skills. The rating can be a step toward full Instructor, or an end in itself. Match your time, talent and interests with the NAUI programs near you, and enjoy the adventure of personal and professional enhancement as a NAUI leader.
This leadership-level certification is your continuation of excellence and personal gratification.
The NAUI Assistant Instructor rating is a NAUI leadership-level certification. The program is designed to introduce students to diving instruction basics. It also tests individuals in fundamental water skills needed to be capable assistants. Certification authorizes individuals to assist active-status NAUI Instructors in the conduct of dive training. NAUI Assistant Instructor certification is a highly recommended step in the progression to NAUI Instructor.
QUALIFICATIONS OF GRADUATES
- A current NAUI Assistant Instructor is qualified to assist active-status NAUI Instructors in teaching skin and scuba diving during sanctioned diving courses provided the activities and locale are similar to those of the training. Additional training or experience is to be obtained by the Assistant Instructor who desires to assist in highly specialized training activities, such as deep, wreck penetration, cavern or ice dives.
- A NAUI Assistant Instructor and can be counted toward student-instructor ratios.
- After assisting an active-status NAUI Instructor with at least one complete, NAUI Scuba Diver course a current NAUI Assistant Instructor is qualified, if all other prerequisites are met, to enter a NAUI Instructor Training Course (ITC). (Attending a NAUI Instructor Preparatory (PREP) Program and certification as a NAUI Divemaster are recommended prior to attending an ITC.)
PREREQUISITES FOR ENTERING THE COURSE
- General. Meet the requirements applying to all Leadership courses. (See “Policies Applying to Leadership Courses.”)
- Materials. (See current guide to NAUI membership.)
- Diver Certification. Certification as NAUI Master Scuba Diver and NAUI Scuba Rescue Diver or their equivalent. Divers with evidence of equivalent training and experience may be enrolled provided they pass the NAUI Master Scuba Diver written examination with a minimum score of 75%.
- Experience. Have at least 20 logged open water scuba dives. Dives shall be varied in environment, depth and activities.